Welcome! This blog is for fans of the 'Nearly Insane' quilt created in the 1870's by Salinda Rupp. If you would like to purchase a copy of the book by Liz Lois with the patterns, check with your local quilt store, or visit the Nearly Insane website.

If you would like to contribute to this blog, leave a comment and we can get back to you with permissions.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Block 2 - Tazzie

I can see this is going to be addictive! I've now completed block two :-) It's unlikely I'll be able to keep up this momentum when I get back to work, but while my time is my own, I'm just going with it.

Dee asked some questions in the comments of the last post. I'll answer as best I can. I'm making the blocks in the same size as the book, which is 6" finished. For the moment they're scrappy and I'll match the colours as best I can to the picture inside the front cover. I think this is how I'll continue, as I have so many scraps, and I imagine the sashing is what will tie all my blocks together neatly. For now I don't think I'll be hand piecing anything, and each block will determine what technique I use to make it up. For the moment I'll work through the blocks sequentially, but there are a few SCARY blocks coming up quickly, so I may review that.

In this particular block, I foundation pieced the entire centre section, and rotary cut and machine pieced the outer red and gold pieces. For the foundation piecing, I traced the appropriate section of the block on kitchen paper.

Thank you all so much for your immediate interest and encouragement. It means a lot to me :-)

2 comments:

Vicki H. said...

You have a lovely stash of repro fabrics! Thanks for explaining how you are doing the foundation pieces. I think the 6 inch blocks are a great size.

Kristie said...

Your block looks great! Love those fabrics! This is really great!
Kristie